For 175 years, First United Methodist has sought to fulfill the Great Commission – “to go and make disciples.” The church was founded in 1841 on land donated by Nelson Tift. The main campus is still located at the corner of Flint and Jackson in Downtown Albany. The present sanctuary was built in 1951 and features stained glass windows depicting the story of Christ from birth to Resurrection. The church campus has grown, but the mission has remained the same: reaching out to the world and telling the story of Jesus.
As Albany grew, the need for churches in other areas of the city was evident. First Church became a part of the movement helping establish Methodist churches throughout the community. Palmyra Road, Trinity, Avalon, Morningside, Porterfield, Christ United, West Town, and The Pointe were all established by FUMC members. These sister churches share our purpose to go and make disciples and partner with FUMC in mission projects throughout the city and around the globe.
FUMC is dedicated to serving the people of our neighborhood in Downtown Albany. One currently thriving program is the weekly worship and supper called Sunday Evenings With our Neighbors (SEWN). Through SEWN, local churches and organizations get the opportunity to serve and connect with a community they may not otherwise be able to reach.
Our ministry reaches as far as Neyyoor and Karakonam, India. Over the years mission teams turned a makeshift operating room into a large teaching hospital, changing the lives of people in India. The mission has evolved with the hospital’s needs. Today, FUMC provides scholarships for nursing students there, continuing the mission of reaching out to all nations.
We are proud of our history, but we understand that the Great Commission compels us to continue to go and make disciples. FUMC looks forward to how God will lead us to fulfill that mission for the next 175 years.